David’s favorite pie has always been pecan, but coconut cream is a very close runner up. My grandmother’s Coconut Cream Pie recipe has always been his favorite. He takes a bite and gets that closed eye this the best thing ever look on his face. I think that’s a pretty good testimony that this is a great pie.
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 can evaporated milk
1 1/2 cup whole milk
3 egg yolks (save egg whites for the meringue)
3/4 cup flaked, sweetened coconut, divided
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 baked pie crust
3 egg whites at room temperature
1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
1. In a saucepan, stir together the sugar, cornstarch, and salt.
2. In a separate bowl, lightly whisk eggs and milk together. Add to the sugar mixture and stir together well.
3. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly to avoid scorching, until the mixture starts to boil. By now the mixture should be thick. Boil for one minute.
4. Stir in 1/2 cup coconut, butter, and vanilla until the butter is melted. Pour into the filling. Cover with plastic wrap until the meringue is ready.
5. Prepare the meringue and put on the filling. Sprinkle remaining coconut on top of the meringue.
6. Bake in an oven preheated to 350 for 20 – 25 minutes or until meringue is browned.
Everyone I know that loves Coconut Cream Pie loves this recipe, and it is a bonus that it makes a beautiful pie.
These posts were not sponsored, but all pies were baked in my LG double wall oven, which I was provided as a member of the LG VIP Blogger Team.