I have a confession to make. I like making cute, creative treats for my kids’ classes. I don’t have time to volunteer or participate in a lot of the kids’ activities at school. Making clever classroom treats eases some of the working mom guilt.
Cady isn’t allowed a Halloween party at school this year so I decided to make Halloween treats for our Girl Scout troop instead. I came up with the idea of making “girl scouts” out of Smarties, and after some practice I perfected how to make Smarties people.
You will need:
- Colored Card Stock Paper
- Pipe Cleaners
- A Marker
- Decorations (optional)
1. Take one pipe cleaner and wrap the tip tightly around the tail of the Smarties package.
2. Lay the Smarties along the pipe cleaner and wrap it around the opposite tail once or twice. Lay a second package next to the first with the tails overlapping and wrap the pipe cleaner tightly around both tails.
3. Lay the second Smarties on the pipe cleaner and wrap the remaining pipe cleaner tightly around the tail. Cut any excess pipe cleaner.
4. Fold the second pipe cleaner in half and place over the middle of the two Smarties. Twist tightly to form two “legs”.
5. Lay a third Smarties at the end of one of the legs and wrap the pipe cleaner tightly around the tail. Wrap the pipe cleaner tightly around the top tail as well. Repeat with a fourth Smarties.
6. Draw or print a template for your “clothes”. Trace and cut as many as needed. Also cut or punch a circle for the “head”.
7. Draw a face on the heads.
8. Glue the clothes and faces to the Smarties legs (the arms kind of wiggle around and it will come loose). Decorate as desired. I added a Girl Scout “sash” to mine that I printed.
I thought these turned out super cute. Cady helped me with the project and couldn’t wait to pass them out at our meeting. All of the scouts loved them.
I am giving away a Smarties prize pack that you can use to make your own Smarties people, to use as Halloween candy, or to just enjoy yourself. The prize pack will include:
- 1 Theater box Smarties
- 1 small bag Original Smarties
- 1 small bag Tropical Smarties
- 1 small bag X-Treme Sour Smarties
- 1 small bag Smarties in a Pouch
- 1 small bag Seasonal Smarties
Leave a comment to be entered in the giveaway. For an additional entry you can send a tweet linking to this post with the hashtag #IAmASmartie. You can also get more information about Smarties on their website, like their Facebook page, or follow them on Twitter or Pinterest. You can purchase Smarties at Walmart, Dollar General, Family Dollar, Dollar Tree, or Target.