Tomorrow is my 41st birthday. In honor of the occasion, here is a list of 41 things about me.
1. I’ve never learned to water ski.
2. I am a registered Republican. (I really need to change that.)
3. Willie Nelson is one of my all time favorite singers.
4. And my second favorite song of all time is You Were Always On My Mind.
5. My first favorite song of all time is Amazing Grace.
6. I’ve never had the chance to see Willie Nelson live, but I would love too.
7. I love a thunderstorm. Especially when I’m at home.
8. It took eight years from the day I graduated high school until the day I graduated college.
9. David and I paid for my entire college education. No loans, no grants (well one tiny one my first year), nothing. Just hard work and sacrifice.
10. I get car sick.
11. I drive pretty much everywhere I go. Even for work trips with my coworkers (who are all men). (see no. 10)
12. I’ve never learned how to fry a chicken. My mother makes the best fried chicken ever. She’s tried to teach me numerous times.
13. I suck at remembering movie quotes, but I admire people that are good at it and am a little jealous of their skill.
14. I’m kind of a prude.
15. I keep a messy house because if I tried to keep it as clean as I really want I would never.stop.cleaning.
16. If I can’t have things the way I want them then I would rather not have them at all.
17. When I was in high school I thought about killing myself. My love for my family is the only thing that stopped me.
18. I find something I love and obsess over it until it wears me completely out. New author? Must read everything they’ve written. New TV show? Much watch every single one. Current favorite food? Must eat it everyday until it makes me sick.
19. My favorite all time TV show is Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
20. My second favorite all time TV show is Law & Order. All of them. Except that dumb one that was set in LA.
21. When I was growing up I had the TV schedule memorized. My parents never used a TV Guide because they could just ask me what was coming on and when.
22. When I was a little girl I saw someone dive off the diving board at the public pool and hit their head. They had to call an ambulance and were rushed to the emergency room. I’ve never been able to dive into a pool since then.
23. I’m not the best swimmer and that is why it is so important to me that my kids learn how to swim well.
24. Other than the chicken (see above), the one thing I can admit that I do really well is cook. It’s in my blood.
25. I’ve never been good at being trendy.
26. I’m terrified that something will happen to David and I will have to live without him.
27. No one thought it was a good idea for David and I to get married so young, but I knew it was. Twenty two years later I still say it was the smartest decision I’ve ever made.
28. I know how to sew. That’s in my blood too.
29. I’m not good at keeping in touch with people. It is one thing I wish I could change about myself.
30. Sometimes I wish that I were a stricter mother so that my kids would behave better, but I know that I won’t be because I don’t want to do what it takes to be stricter.
31. I worry and plan constantly.
32. I talk and laugh really loud. I love that about me.
33. I’m just as comfortable on the lake with a fishing pole as I am in a board room with a presentation.
34. I love hard.
35. Some days regrets weigh me down.
36. I have a terrible singing voice, and I can’t carry a tune, but I love music.
37. I have the gift of discernment.
38. My extended family has become so fractured that sometimes I feel like I’m floating in the wind with no roots to hold me down.
39. I’m terrified of heights and enclosed spaces. It has gotten worse as I’ve gotten older.
40. Sometimes I talk in my sleep.
41. Starting this blog and making connections with all of you is probably the second smartest thing I’ve ever done.
Happy 41st birthday to me! Here’s to at least 41 more.