We hold these truths to be self evident…

<steps on soapbox>

I love being an American. I thank God that I was born here. I believe whole heartedly that it is a blessing and a privilege. But lately I’ve been brokenhearted about the political climate in our country. There is so much push and pull and not enough give. It seems that everyone has lost the meaning of the word compromise. I feel like the spirit of the people that united and formed this country is waning. It makes me weary.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. – The Declaration of Independence

Our country was founded on the idea of freedom for all people. ALL. That means no matter the color of your skin, your gender, your age, your sexual orientation, your religion… you are not only free, but you are also granted the right to life and the pursuit of happiness.

I don’t know about you, but part of happiness for me is being allowed to follow my heart and have a family of my choosing. I get to do that. Unfortunately not everyone is being allowed this right. That hurts my soul.

Right after America won the revolution our forefathers drafted and signed the Constitution. As soon as that was done they added the Bill of Rights, and the very first amendment was the freedom of speech, press, religion and petition. They did that because they never wanted any of the citizens of this country to be submitted to ANY form of religious persecution like they had experienced in Europe.

Persecution [pur-si-kyoo-shuhn] – a program or campaign to exterminate, drive away, or subjugate a people because of their religion, race or beliefs.

That is exactly what we are allowing to happen to homosexual Americans in our country right now. We are allowing a group of people in our country to force their religious beliefs on other citizens. It is wrong. Period. No ifs, ands or buts. Just wrong.

If you believe homosexuality is a sin then preach against it, teach against, march against, hand out pamphlets against it, carry picket signs against it, shout it from the rooftops, put a bumper sticker on your car, tell every single person you ever meet, get a shirt with a “no gays” emblem on it, post it as your Facebook status, tweet it every single day… because you have that right. What you don’t have the right to do is limit another person’s rights because of that belief.

In actuality, this really isn’t about your religious beliefs. Believe whatever you want. You have that right whether you are Jewish, Christian, Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu, Wiccan, Agnostic, Atheist… or whatever other religion (or non-religion) you choose.

But what you don’t have is the right to force those beliefs on others by passing laws that limit their rights. Even the right to get married. It is un-American and unpatriotic to think anything else.

</steps off soapbox>

Comments

1. Kristi Baumbach says

Very well said….so many just don’t get it. My rights end where your rights begin.

2. says

Well said! I commented on an American friend’s FB wall that from an outsider’s perspective it seems that it’s “Land of the free ……. IF you are like us…..”
    Maren recently posted…Monumental news!!My Profile

3. Claire says

I commented on an American friend’s FB wall that from an outsider’s perspective it seems that it’s “Land of the free ……. IF you are like us…..” Thanks for letting me stopped by..
    Claire recently posted…Pregnancy Miracle ReviewsMy Profile

4. Jayme says

*slow clap* Bravo! This is exactly how I feel. Believe whatever you want but you do not have the right to restrict others’ rights due to your beliefs. Apparently that whole separation of church and state has gone out the window too since everyone keeps bringing up the bible. Thank you for writing this. I was going to write something but I couldn’t have wrote anything like this. :)
    Jayme recently posted…Ohio Michigan Blogger Meet Up IS ON!My Profile

5. says

Yep. I’ve been thinking about this issue, and the pro-life one (which is not entirely the same, in my opinion, but some of my thoughts apply to both) so much lately. I feel like Christians have forgotten that Jesus was about love first and foremost. I’ve been wanting to write about it, but the words haven’t come the way I want them to. And now it seems so many others have said what I would say.
    nicole recently posted…Where I’ve BeenMy Profile

• says

I agree. I have another post brewing about that as well. I just think about the ultimate commandment and how so many of us are failing at it.

6. says

This. I love this.

In Colorado the other night, Republicans filibustered until midnight, staying away from the issue of Civil Rights, because they didn’t want the current ordinances/statutes/whatever to change. They killed over THIRTY important bills in the process. I was absolutely dumbfounded that these politicians could do such a thing…to neglect issues that, when decided on, would impact the lives of EVERYONE in our state, just so that they could keep a statute (or whatever it technically is) in place that, if and when changed, could only make thousands of Coloradans’ lives BETTER. It INFURIATES me that they could do this! Granting Civil Rights, Civil Unions, Gay Marriages, etc., to homosexuals impacts NOBODY but the homosexuals, and it can ONLY IMPACT THEM POSITIVELY.

I’m a Bible-believing Christ-follower, and I believe everything the Bible says about homosexuality, but this…this is wrong. These aren’t THE POLITICIANS’ lives. These aren’t THE POLITICIANS’ rights. These aren’t THE POLITICIANS’ relationships. So why are THEY the only ones who have a say?! It’s disgusting.

Thank goodness our governor called a special session of Congress (or whatever, I know nothing about the specifics of politics, I’m probably wrong) with the specific purpose of ADDRESSING the Civil Rights issues on the agenda.
    Kristen recently posted…Parental #WINNING Wednesday, May 9My Profile

• says

I agree. Jesus taught that loving each other was the most important thing for us to do. I don’t see how there is any love in some of things going on in government today.

• says

That is normally my reaction too. I’m so upset that I can’t put anything into words. I’m glad I was finally able to get this out.

7. says

Great Post Jennifer.

I just don’t understand why this is a real issue. I mean honestly do people feel so strongly about who other people love to make laws about it. It just seems crazy. These aren’t people who are hurting anyone by loving someone of the same sex, they are not trying to “mooch” off the system, or even turn everyone to “their” point of view. They just want to get married. So crazy that people think that this is an issue to get crazy about.

What about children in America who are starving – how about the anti-gay marriage people applying all that energy and fervor to that issue?

I don’t get it.

Love who you want to love and get married if you want to.

8. says

Thank you for articulating this. there’s also a phrase floating around in my head about “equal protection under the law.” I also worry, it is restricting homosexual’s rights now, who is next? Another group who is “not like us”?
    viridian61 recently posted…Friday Fragments May 11My Profile

9. says

Love it. I wish people understood why we feel this way. I too wrote about this, I don’t understand why it’s anyone’s right to take away other’s rights. Sorry about your ‘anonymous’ letter.

10. says

I totally agree, Jennifer! I found this post after reading about your anonymous letter-writer. I’m sorry to hear that someone was so upset he/she wrote a threatening letter, but not brave enough to say who he/she was.
    Jeanine Byers recently posted…Mother’s DayMy Profile

Trackbacks

1. […] was talking with a gay friend yesterday about DOMA and about the post I wrote last year regarding equality, and she thanked me. She told me that it was important to have straight allies stand beside them […]